Choosing A Custom Home Design For Your Family And Future
If you’re creating a custom home as your forever home, some serious long-range planning will ensure you can enjoy the home well into the future. You’ll need to factor in your current and future needs, your family plans, and even future generations. After all, a fine custom home is the perfect heirloom to pass down in your family.
Think about including these features and spaces in your custom home design:
- Growing family spaces: You might need a nursery or baby’s room (or more than one), depending on your future plans for growing your family.
- Aging-in-place home layout: Whether you have an older loved one who is currently aging in place, or if you plan to do so yourself someday, you should factor in the right features. You could decide on a ranch-style (one level) home, but it’s not a requirement, as long as you have all the necessities (like a full bath, kitchen, and master bedroom) on the main floor. Alternatively, we could design space for a lift/elevator.
- Accessible custom home features: We can create detailed custom home accommodations for those with mobility issues or the elderly. Features could include: wide hallways and doorways, a ground-level entrance to the home, and a main floor master. You might consider lower kitchen countertops and bathroom vanities. We can design a walk-in (or roll in) shower with integrated shower bench and grab-bars, plus many more features to make the home user-friendly for all.
- Guesthouse: To keep your options open to allow a relative or friend to move in with you for a while, or if you’d like to make rental income at some point, you might plan for a guest house with your custom home builder. You could also (or instead) create a guest suite within your home. This is a self-contained set of adjacent rooms that includes a kitchen or kitchenette and bath, which can be closed off from the rest of the house as a separate private “apartment.”
- Pool and pool house: Chances are a pool would see lots of use, and create many opportunities for multi-generational fun with family and friends over the years.
- Kids playroom: Kids and grandkids, (and the adults who love them), could all benefit from a large, dedicated playroom where kids can be romp around, do crafts together, hang out on days when outdoor play is not practical, and play board games or computer games. Some clients choose to locate this room above an attached garage or in the basement, so kids can make all the noise they want.
- Screening room: Current and future generations would love a purpose-built screening room that rivals your favorite art-house theatre (or blockbuster multiplex), with comfortable tiered seating and a popcorn/refreshment bar. Show feature films or home movies.
- Gym, exercise room, or yoga room: Having a special, separate place to go within your home will help you focus on workouts, without the need to travel through traffic. Whether you favor weight training or Pilates, we can design and outfit a workout room for your family’s now-and-future needs.
- Three-season room or enclosed porch: This enchanting feature greatly extends you living space and makes a great spot for watching sunrise/sunsets, writing, reading a book, having a romantic dinner with your sweetheart, and more.
- Outdoor kitchen and deck: Expanding your living and entertaining space to the great outdoors offers many advantages. You can have a complete kitchen outdoors, with sink, deluxe BBQ, and even a stone pizza oven. An attractive deck adds extra relaxing-in-the-sun space for your whole family.
- Formal dining room: Great rooms are amazing, but there are times you may want to have a more traditional dining experience.
You should also consider adding rooms for a home office, as well as a man-cave or she-shed, and a spa-like bathroom complete with sauna.
Your home must be many things. It is a hub for your life, a place to relax and recharge, a place to celebrate and have fun. Your home is a place to share your life with family and friends—and a place to make memories today–and well into the future. This is the kind of custom home you deserve, and the kind we will partner with you to create. Contact Miller’s Residential Creations and talk to us about your dream home.