Are you looking for a remodeling contractor? Well, it takes a little research and effort to find the best person for the job to ensure it is done properly. After all, you would not want your home remodeling project to go wrong, especially considering the fact it costs a significant amount of money. To help you out, we have discussed some simple tips in this article, so you will be able to separate the best from the rest. Here’s what you need to do to find the right remodeling contractor for the job:
Word-of-mouth is one of the best ways to find the right contractor to handle the job. Therefore, ask friends, neighbors, colleagues, and acquaintances about any contractors they have worked with in the past. Moreover, ask them how the contractor tackled problems, what particular features made it a good experience, and whether or not they would hire the same contractor again.
Look at Licensure & Credentials
Now that you have some recommendations, it’s time to carry out your own research. This can be done by visiting the contractor’s website, or even with a simple phone call. Find out whether the contractor has the required licensing from the local and state authorities to operate their business. You should also consider looking for contractors that are accredited and certified by relevant authorities. Also, don’t hire a contractor that doesn’t offer insurance.
After you have narrowed down the list of potential candidates, you should schedule meetings with them to clarify your queries. However, it is advised that you keep the list to no more than three or four contractors, because anything beyond will make things confusing for you. Look at how the contractor answers your questions and the level of support they offer.
Ask the contractor for references to get a second opinion from those who have used their services, and contact their former customers to ask the following questions:
- Was the contractor good at executing the projects?
- Were they on budget and time?
- Were you pleased with the results?
- Was there anything you did not like and could have been done differently?
- Keep in mind that you are availing a service – not a product. Therefore, the quality of service will play an important role in determining the quality of the work done.
You should also take the business experience of the contractor into consideration. Things you should find out include:
- How many years have they been in business?
- Do they have a trustworthy reputation among peers and customers?
- Has the contractor earned any professional designations, like Certified Bath Designer, or Certified Graduate Remodeler?
- Do they have a good track record?
- Do they maintain a permanent contact number, mailing address, fax number, voicemail, personal phone number, and email address?
Get a Written Estimate
If the remodeling contractor meets all of these requirements, you have found the right person for the job. However, before sealing the deal, get an estimate, in writing, so you have an idea of how much you will have to pay the contractor for the work.
These are some tips you can follow to find the right remodeling contractor for your job.